Monday, July 23, 2007

Hau'oli la hanau (Happy Birthday) Ariel!!!

Ariel and I just got back from a trip to Kauai to celebrate her birthday. In planning a birthday trip for Ariel, I wanted to choose a place that would fit her interests and personality. It had to be someplace charming, beautiful, and with great outdoor activities that Ariel would enjoy--these are all characteristics that Kauai possesses, but so do all of the Hawaiian islands. I was sold on Kauai though when I learned of a little known fact that its largest and most dangerous predators are runaway cats. Ariel is something of a "Nervous Nelly," I knew that she would enjoy the peace of mind of visiting an island that is not only gorgeous, active, and rugged, but that also has no snakes, no venomous spiders, no lions, no tigers, no bears, and no other threats on land. Kauai would be the perfect place for Ariel to enjoy her birthday with the ease of mind that comes from sleeping assured of the absence of any nearby predatory mammals, reptiles or insects. Happy Birthday Ariel!

Kauai is absolutely gorgeous and has been the filming location of movies such as Jurassic Park. On one tiny island only 25 miles in diameter there is an incredible diversity of environments. Mt. Waialeale in the center of the island is reported to be the wettest place on the planet with over 39 FEET of rainfall annually. The water cascades from the sheer jungle cliff faces in hundreds of waterfalls across the island. On the west side of the island is the Waimea Canyon which was named the Grand Canyon of the Pacific by Mark Twain when he visited Hawaii in the 1880's.

During our trip, Ariel and I hiked the Waimea Canyon, surfed at Wailua Beach, hiked the rugged rainforest cliffs of the Na Pali Coast, kayaked the Wailua River, and went on a helicopter ride around the entire island. Here's the proof:


Mt. Waialeale waterfalls


Waimea Canyon



Me and the Birthday Girl







Hiking the Na Pali Coast





The Helicopter Ride

Ariel and I had an incredible trip to the gorgeous and predatory-mammal- -reptile-and-insect-free island of Kauai. Unfortunately when we returned to Oahu, we learned there had been a shark attack about 3 miles down the beach from where we live. At least sharks haven't learned to attack on land...yet.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to you both,
Evie/Mom

care said...

what a fab way to celebrate! happy birthday, ariel!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Ariel! The photos look gorgeous! I hope that you two had lots of fun. Miss you!

Laura Hejl said...

Happy birthday ariel! it looks beautiful and you are very lucky to have a husband that plans such wonderful birthdays! you better stay out of those waters at your house. Don't know about you, but I am terrified of shark attacks!

adriansal2 said...

Happy birthday Ariel!!!!