Friday, October 5, 2007

Rock and a hard place

I am a fool. I don’t know how these things happen to me, but I managed to get my car stuck in the parking lot of Foodland yesterday morning. There was a big van behind me blocking my way out, so I decided to be really clever and just drive forward out of my spot since there was no one parked in front of me. So I put my car in drive, put my foot on the gas, hear a horrendous scraping sound, feel my car climb and then fall and then smash a foot to the ground.

...and that is where I stayed.

There may have been a big van in back of my car but it turns out there was also a humongous parking divider in front of my car. Now, this was not my first time accidentally driving over a parking divider, but it was the first time I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck. I couldn’t drive forward or backwards because the top of the concrete divider was putting pressure on the bottom of my car. If the divider had been just a little taller, my car truly would have been balancing mid-air.

My mishap caused such a dreadful noise that two guys ran over to ask if I was okay. Eventually, there were about eleven people surrounding my car offering advice about the best way to get out of my little pickle, including nine big men that ultimately lifted the front of my car while I drove backwards in reverse.

Almost too embarrassing for words, on my way out of the parking lot I kind of caught the curb and thereby completely demolished what little was left of my pride. I can never go back to Foodland ever again.

All in all, still a productive morning though! I completed my grocery shopping and still got to work ten minutes early!

5 comments:

Audrey T said...

Grocery shopping is way overrated anyway!

Thank goodness for those 9 men. Another reason Chris should go to Foodland - in case someone else needs some muscles in the parking lot!

Unknown said...

I have not had the best week either. Hope that things get better!

Corrie said...

Sounds like something I could/would do! Thanks for sharing your story. It sure gave me a little laugh! AND glad you were saved by buff men at Foodland!

Laura Hejl said...

take it from me - parking/driving skills are overrated!

Audrey T said...

And my sister should know! She's afraid to put gas in the car because it might explode. Luckily for her she can walk a lot of places in Vancouver.