Last night Paddy whined from three to five in the morning so I decided to bring her outside briefly in case she desperately needed to go to the bathroom (a valid concern since she continues to drink as much saltwater as possible when "swimming" despite the fact that saltwater dependably gives her an upset stomach). When we went outside (the backyard is no longer fenced, only our living room) nothing happened so I tugged her leash to bring her back upstairs. I guess the collar had gotten too loose because when she tugged back she just slipped right out of it. She disappeared into the darkness of the street (no streetlights here) and before I knew it I was holding onto a leash that was clasped to a collar without a dog. If you have never been in that position, it is a seriously stupid feeling.
From the warmth and comfort of sleep I suddenly found myself barefoot, indecently exposed, running down my street before sunrise yelling “come” completely desperately since Paddy and I both knew there was absolutely no chance that she would come.
Anyway...
As I was shimmying and slithering underneath my neighbor’s foundation at five in the morning with a growing lump on my head from where I had just banged it on a beam of wood - all the while watching Paddy wag her tail - I realized that my good dog is perhaps very bad.
P.S. Thank you, Wards, for giving Alison my number - she and Eric are so much fun!
7 comments:
but she is sooo cute!
That Paddy is always up for an adventure - no matter what time it is or what you're wearing! Thanks for the good laugh, Paddy, even if it was at Ariel's expense. Sam and I needed a good belly laugh!
Oh, and where was Chris during all this fun? Conveniently at work, I bet!
Maybe Paddy should not drink salt water!-Justin
I think that Paddy is funny playing in the waves!-Annika
Yep, Chris was conveniently on call gallivanting in the 25th hour of his 30 hour shift.
Dear Ariel,
What a brave girl you are!
Love,
Evie
I am so glad you and Alison and Eric met. We like all of you!
Betsy
Post a Comment