Saturday morning Harry, Chris and I woke up very, very early and caught an 18 minute flight to Molokai. We arrived while it was still dark, rented a car, and drove to the East side of the island while the sun was rising. The island is rural and gorgeous, with a countryside dotted with little churches built by Father Damien in the late 1800s nestled in Molokai's green, gentle mountain folds. After driving as far East as we could go we headed all the way to the West and arrived around 11. We parked our car by the pretty golf course of an abandoned resort and crossed the greenway to a string of gorgeous white-sand beaches. We played all day climbing around a big rock formation with tidepools filled with crabs, hermit crabs, and fish, all overlooking a deep blue and aquamarine ocean. Molokai is wonderfully empty; we spent the entire day at one of the most beautiful locations I've ever seen without running into a single other person. The three of us watched the sun start to set over the water and returned to the airport a little after 6:30pm.
Sadly, Harry's flight to Australia left on Sunday. :( With Harry now at work in the land down under, Chris has become my new scuba buddy. We just got back from a 92-feet deep shipwreck dive where we saw 20-25 eagle rays swimming in a pod over the stern of the wreck and two whales from our own boat while we were en route. It was pretty incredible.
Harry also went scuba diving today at the Great Barrier Reef for his class on Coral Reef Ecology. Lucky, lucky boy!
7 comments:
Ahhh yes, Molokai. I remember sleeping on an incredible deserted beach and a white horse galloping by...
I'm so proud, Ariel, that you are now a scuba diver. And how fun that Harry can use his certification during his SUPER semester in Sydney!
Ahhh yes, Molokai. I remember sleeping on an incredible deserted beach and a white horse galloping by...
I'm so proud, Ariel, that you are now a scuba diver. And how fun that Harry can use his certification during his SUPER semester in Sydney!
wow!
your pictures are GREAT, especially the one of the boat in the water. and you look so cute with the braids. :)
Yea Ariel! You have more guts that I do! I just snorkel above my scuba diving friends and enjoy the view from the surface.
Congrats on getting the PADI certification!! I can't wait to hear about your underwater adventures now!
The island part sounds amazing, but I'm not so sure about the scuba diving. It was great to talk to you this week!
I'm so impressed that you are an official scuba diver! It looks like you all had lots of fun. The pictures are great! Call me soon! xoxo
Post a Comment