Saturday, September 22, 2007

L'shanah Tovah!

Happy 5768! Today is Yom Kippur!

As an Episcopalian, I am still becoming acquainted with the Jewish religion and customs. Most of what I know, I have learned from Jewish food.

Last week was Rosh Hashanah. Ariel told me that I was to eat apples with honey, Mimi's rugalah (cookies), and drink Manischewitz for a sweet New Year. So far so good. I felt like I was being rewarded. I must have done something really good.



Today was Yom Kippur. Well, whatever good I did to earn apples, honey, rugalah and Manischewitz, I must have messed it up. Bigtime. My first clue was that yesterday Ariel told me I wouldn't be able to eat for the next twenty-four hours. I was allowed to have dinner, but I was sent to bed with no chance of breakfast or lunch on the following day. My next clue that I had done something wrong was that I had to dress up in fancy pants and a tie to go to services (my first time wearing a tie since moving here). Finally, we reached the part of Yom Kippur services when you actually have to think back on all of the things you've done wrong this year to atone for them... and then I knew exactly what I had done.

In all seriousness though, the Yom Kippur service was very meaningful and moving, and I look forward to learning more about Judaism in the years to come from my lovely wife and her wonderful family.

Ariel tells me the next holiday is Sukkot. As I understand it, we build a fort out of leaves and fruit and get drunk inside of it. Awesome, it sounds like I've done something good again!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ariel and Christopher,
Surf's up! Please put a stop sign on your blog to go with the no fork and knife sign. Love you and wish you were here.
Justin

I learned a lot from your blog. I wish I could boogie board. I wish you were here too!
Annika

Audrey T said...

I can't get over the fact that you haven't worn a tie since you moved! Ariel has taught us all alot about Judaism - we're so lucky to have a great teacher. Samuel will be ready for his lessons soon, Ms. Ariel.

care said...

I think of y'all every time I see a Jewish holiday printed on my calendar--and I thought of you on sunday too when our pastor was explaining to the youth group about the temple and the rock and sacrifices and all.

I miss you.

and I loved the poem. you're two very silly and wonderful people, and I like that. :)

r said...

as my granpa said saturday night into the long stretch ... lets bring him along next year with us to suffer like the rest of us! hehehe


my response "um arent the tickets to hard to get until you're married in?" . ...